Our goal as a program is to provide a setting that is safe, fun, engaging, and inviting in which students are encouraged to deepen their faith and relationship with God, the church community, and each other. We hope that our program helps teenagers to grow in their knowledge and excitement about their faith, and become more fully involved in the church community. We encourage students to challenge themselves and to ask tough questions about the faith. We also hope to instill an attitude of justice and service into all of our students as they prepare to become fully initiated into the Catholic Church. We pray that students who complete the Visitation Confirmation Program will be prepared to live out their catholic faith for the rest of their lives, always in search of God’s truth.
Our Program is a 2 year process in preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation that follows the Archdiocese of Los Angeles guidelines for Confirmation. Our curriculum for classes comes from a variety of materials approved by the archdiocese for use in confirmation.
Our Program is designed to be flexible. We understand that teens have more and more demands for their time these days. That is why we have built in the ability to choose the sessions that work for you. This year we will be hosting 24 sessions before the confirmation ceremony. Students will have the option to choose 10 sessions that they are interested in attending. Session topics are chosen by our teen leaders to be interesting, engaging, and informative. This way, students can choose topics that they are interested in as well as ones that fit their schedule. Most sessions will be held on Sundays starting at 5:30pm and ending at 7pm. There are a few sessions scheduled on Friday nights from 7 to 8:30pm. Service days will normally be held on Saturdays. Requirements to enter and complete the program can be found in the sections below.
Requirements for Registration in Program
The Confirmation Program at Visitation Church has these pre-registration requirements:
- Students in our Confirmation program must be in high school throughout their participation in the two year process.
- Students must have been baptized before starting Confirmation program. If student has not had their First Communion, please talk to program coordinator to set one up.
- Copies of Baptism and First Communion certificates are required at the time of registration.
- Students are required to attend 10 sessions each year. Because of our new format, 10 is the minimum number of classes. Students are welcome, and encouraged to attend as many sessions as they would like.
- Students are required to pick the name that will be used as their confirmation name by the end of their first year. Traditionally this is either the baptismal name or the name of a saint. Students must do a short write up about why they chose the name they chose.
- Service is an important part of our process. Throughout the year we will be offering group service days (at least 5). Students in the program are required to participate in 1 group service day per year. Teens may also submit a request to participate in service outside of what we have prepared; any outside service must be pre-approved by the Coordinator.
- All students are required to attend an overnight retreat during their confirmation preparation. See Retreats section below for more info.
- All students are required to pick a sponsor by the third session of the year (October 14th). See Parent/ Sponsor section for more info.
- Mass attendance is a pivotal part of our catholic faith. While we do not keep track of mass attendance, families should be attending masses together every Sunday. Students will be asked to take on responsibilities during the masses. Responsibilities include, Altar Serving, Reading, Ushering, and being a part of the choir/ band. Parents are encouraged to attend mass with their teens and get involved with them.